Wisdom Tooth Extraction West Edmonton
What are wisdom teeth?
The third set of teeth that develop in the back of the mouth are wisdom teeth, also referred to as third molars. Between the ages of 17 and 25, they often begin to surface. These teeth can become impacted, or lodged below the gum line, if there is not enough space in the mouth for them to emerge normally. Impacted wisdom teeth can harm other teeth and gums in addition to causing pain, pressure, infection, and discomfort.
When is the best time to remove wisdom teeth?
If an x-ray reveals that there is not enough room for the wisdom teeth to emerge normally, your dentist may advise having them extracted. This can shield nearby teeth from pain, inflammation, infection, and damage. Age is another consideration when deciding whether to remove wisdom teeth, but in the end, your particular situation will determine the timing. Some individuals might not even be aware that they are developing wisdom teeth until they begin to experience gum pain or swelling.
Do all wisdom teeth have to be extracted?
Not all wisdom teeth require removal, as it depends on the individual patient's dental condition. If a patient's wisdom teeth are healthy, fully grown in, positioned correctly, and able to properly bite and be easily cleaned through regular oral hygiene practices, they may not need to be removed.
Symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth
Pain and Discomfort
- Severe pain in the jaw and side of the face, especially when eating or opening the mouth wide Pain and Discomfort
- Swelling in the gums near the affected tooth
- Difficulty in opening the jaw or a restricted range of motion
- Recurrent headaches or earaches
- Increased sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures.
- A persistent bad taste in the mouth or bad breath
- Numbness or tingling sensations in the jaw or adjacent areas
- Bleeding or tender gums in the affected area
- Crowding or shifting of the adjacent teeth
- Cysts or tumors in the gums or jaw
- Difficulty in biting or chewing food
Crown Dental Clinic is experienced in performing tooth extractions and we try to make the procedure as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Please call us at 780-249-9666 to schedule an appointment.
Crown Dental Clinic offers the ability to request your dentist appointments online. Schedule an appointment now!Book Online
New Patient Forms
By filling out the New Patient Forms ahead of time you will save significant time on your visit.New Patient Forms